|Brownfields Disadvantaged Communities Network|
The Institute provides information to Congress, particularly the Northeast-Midwest Congressional and Senate Coalitions, on federal policy issues that relate to brownfields redevelopment.
Report- Toolbox for Disadvantaged Communities
Neighborhood Stabilization Program
Brownfields Financing Webcasts and Workshops
1. Webcast -- Dollars and Sense: Smart Brownfields Financing Options for Disadvantaged CommunitiesThe Northeast-Midwest Institute hosted the first 90-minute Webcast for the Disadvantaged Communities project on December 14, 2006. The Webcast provided an overview of federal and state brownfields financing resources, highlighted opportunities for private sector investment, and showcased the City of Rochester’s effective financing strategies. Click here to access a recorded archive of the event. Links to the PowerPoint presentations are below:
2. Webcast -- Building Strong Communities: The Role of Community Development Corporations in Brownfields Redevelopment
The second 90-minute Disadvantaged Communities Webcast was held on March 22, 2007. The Webcast highlighted the unique role that community development corporations (CDCs) have begun to play in reclaiming environmentally contaminated properties. The Webcast provided tools and information for CDCs to effectively manage real estate transactions involving brownfields, including tips for hiring consultants, managing legal liability, and seeking public and private sector funding. The Webcast also showcased two CDCs that have actively pursued brownfields redevelopment strategies. Click here to access a recorded archive of the event. Links to the PowerPoint presentations are below:
3. Trenton Workshop: Building Strong Neighborhoods: Brownfields Redevelopment in Undercapitalized Markets
4. Tampa Workshop: Building Strong Neighborhoods -- Brownfields Redevelopment in Undercapitalized Communities
The Northeast-Midwest Institute sponsored a workshop in Tampa, Florida, on March 19, 2008, to examine communities and neighborhoods historically marked by poverty, joblessness, and disinvestment.
5. Webcasts: Tools for Revitalizing Disadvantaged Communities
The Disadvantaged Brownfields Communities Network hosted two interactive webcasts to provide distressed urban and rural communities with tools for the revitalization of contaminated and blighted properties.
Building the Business Case for Brownfields Redevelopment in Underserved Communities (October 28, 2008)
On Tuesday, October 28, 2008, the Disadvantaged Brownfields Communities Network hosted the first in its series of two 60-minute webcasts, Building the Business Case for Brownfields Redevelopment in Underserved Communities. The webcast explained how communities are using inner-city market analysis to reveal the hidden strengths of traditionally undervalued neighborhoods. The webcast also explained how community-based development corporations, municipalities, counties, and other economic development organizations have been able to fill their finance expertise gaps with senior and retired volunteers who have investment banking and capital markets experience. Webcast presentations are as follows:
Using Land Banks as a Strategy to Spur Brownfiels Redevelopment (October 30, 2008)
On Thursday, October 30, 2008, the Disadvantaged Brownfields Communities Network hosted the second in its series of two 60-minute webcasts, Using Land Banks as a Strategy to Spur Brownfields Redevelopment. The concept of a land bank is to acquire and purchase vacant and underutilized property in order to redevelop the land for productive use. The webcast examined how communities have developed and implemented land banking strategies, and identified the benefits of establishing community improvement corporations and land banks to help revitalize abandoned properties in a non-traditional manner. Webcast presentations are as follows:
CDC and Community Development Programs Highlighted in Workshops and Webcasts
- East Tampa Community Redevelopment Area
- City of Trenton, NJ, Brownfields Program
- Bethel New Life, Chicago
- Local Initiative Support Corp., Virginia
- Dorchester Bay Economic Development Corp.
- Hands, Inc.(East Orange housing and neighborhood development services)
- City of Rochester Department of Environmental Quality
- 11/16/13 Toward Sustainable Water Information Blue Ribbon Project Steering Committee Update, ...
- 11/15/13 Great Lakes Restoration Initiative Audit Now Available, ...
- 11/14/13 NEMWI Signs Global Test Net Memorandum of Agreement on Behalf of Great Ships Initiative, ...
- 11/14/13 NEMWI's Great Lakes Hill Happenings: October 2013 Edition Now Available, ...